Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Self Discipline

2 Timothy 1:7  For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

I have an issue with self discipline.  It is not something that comes easy for me.  I see this in all areas of my life: managing my weight, exercise, spending daily time with my Father, doing the dishes, writing on my blog and so much more!  Looking at the very word itself, the very idea is unpleasant - SELF-DISCIPLINE - Hebrews 12:11 says "All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness". 
It is not simple.  It is not easy.  It is sorrowful.  However, in order to live a godly life and to have the peaceful fruit of righteousness it is something we need. 

How do I do this?

Titus 2:11-12
For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.

It's the grace of God that gives me salvation that allows me to live self controlled! 
I need my Savior daily helping to pursue a self-controlled life in every area!

****************************************
Other notes:

I know it has been way too long since I have written a blog post.  I have found that trying to write on such a narrow topic is very difficult, so I may open up this blog to be a little more.  I may share things that are going on in my life or pictures of things I've done. 

Ok, on to my weight...when I started this journey, I did not want to focus on the number on the scale or my weight, just focus on becoming the woman God wanted me to be.  However, recently a friend from work asked me to join Weight Watchers with her.  Although I knew this would be a sacrifice of both time and money, and I would have to face the scale and the dreaded number every week, I decided this would be good for both of us.  (It's always better to have someone with you on a journey like this).  I was shocked at my first weigh in - I had gained 7 lbs in the past 2 months!  I guess it may be necessary to focus a little on the number. 

Attempting to look to Jesus,

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I'm amazed at how similar our stories are. Isn't it odd that "self" discipline is a fruit of the spirit? That gives me hope, knowing that I don't have to come up with it myself, but that if I'm doing what the Word tells me to do, the "self" discipline will be a product of my walk with Christ!

    ReplyDelete