Thursday, December 1, 2011

Kindness and Patience and Yelling, Oh my!

I consider myself a very kind and patient person.  I have a lot of patience for crazy drivers on the road, incompetent customers, friends who disappoint me.  I actually react with kindness in the most difficult situations. 

SO, why is it that I have absolutely no patience and little kindness for the four most precious and lovable people in my life?

The other day I was reading about the fruits of the spirit, and in particularly, kindness and patience.  I felt convicted that I need to apply this mostly with my children.  I went to bed in prayer that God would help me in this area of my life.

---I woke up the next morning singing and smiling, in a perfect mood, and nothing but kind words were coming out of my mouth --

OK -THAT TOTALLY DID NOT HAPPEN!!!!

I woke up late and grumpy.  I began attempting to get the kids going (which is never an easy feat in my house - they love to sleep as long as possible in the mornings), after not responding for a while the yelling begins - "Get up now!"  "You're going to be late for school!"  "You better be dressed by the time I get done putting my makeup on!" - Definitely the worse of days I had in a while.

Was God trying to test me?  Was the devil getting a foothold?

As I drove them to school that morning, I began weeping.  I told them I was sorry.  I was mostly upset with myself. 
God, please help me to be kind and patient in all areas of my life - especially with my own children!

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control...
Galatians 5:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment